ON THE STREETS OF LAGOS





As usual, after school, I was making a corner just after the bridge. I was a few minutes’ walk to the Garage. A long whistling sound filled the air, and I knew very well what it meant. There was no familiarity between myself and anyone in these parts; therefore, slowing down or turning around was no option. Those hungry-looking boys with only tattered clothes on their back are not a sight for pity eyes. They are snatchers, and I’d rather not have my school books snatched by people who won’t even know what to do with them.
 Shortly after the whistling stopped, which was rather odd, I felt a cold hand wrap itself around my elbow. I promise you that these boys have an A-plus on their element of surprise. I was ready to give whoever it was a jab. However, the familiar stench that has become the ever-present part of the streets of Lagos suddenly wrapped itself around me. It was so poignant that I began to see stars. I needed no one to tell me that it was one of the under bridge lot. The strength that the grip suggested was surely one I couldn’t handle, but I was not going to let him know. I must at least try; this is Lagos. It’s either move or be moved.

*******

The silly grunting sound that filled my ears annoyed me a great deal. All I needed was to see the face of my assailant, but the coward wouldn’t budge. He did me no simple courtesy of speaking, only the grunts and fits of laughter, how ridiculous they were. I struggled endlessly with his firm grip. Or I tried to.
It would have made some sense if I knew what he wanted from me. Or why he chose me, but his lot will do this kind of stuff just for fun. I believe I heard jeering at a distance, but I’d like to think it wasn’t at me. Suddenly the jeers stopped, and a force pushed us both to the ground. For about a minute and half the full glare of the setting sun was all I could see. Until the towering image of Ajepe appeared before my position. I was ready to launch my attack when he said;
Padi e, no jab me o.
I smiled. Oh Egbon, I thought it was those boys from under the bridge.
You know how they can like to by force somebody. You Sharp sha. Na one of dem you dey follow struggle, but he dons di-ss-embak. Thank you Egbon Ajepe. He then offered me his hand, and he raised me to my feet.
No worry bois, you be my padi now he replied, Oya make you dey move. Make I follow reach the beginnings of Garage winking as we moved together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ON THE STREETS OF LAGOS

On The Streets of Lagos....

On The Streets Of Lagos