On The Streets Of Lagos





My first reaction was to make a clean sweep of the faces that watched the situation keenly. Thankfully, one of them will belong to my Mother, or did I have no such luck?
Where could she have gone? She was not due for sales until evening; it is a Sunday for the love of Boli. My gaze kept moving around and about until it fell on Basira. The brat, why had she broken into a run when she saw me on my way back, did she know something I did not? My legs instinctively began to carry me to her direction. She was moving too. She sure was backing off. That confirms it, she did know something, and she was no escaping this one, not on my watch.
I jumped on Basira without meaning too. I guess this is the work of the adrenaline Uncle Science had spoken of. Thank God for Adrenaline, I couldn't have made the catch in time.
The impact that my weight had on Basira's frame is something that shocked me as much as it shocked the onlookers. Their attention was quick to leave the dead body to a new situation. I detest this drama as much as I hated the fact that people were gawking at that dead body without making any reasonable attempt to investigate what had happened. Finally, the incoherent noise came to a halt only to be replaced by a fresh round of shouts, concerns, and mocking words.
"Why were you looking at me like that?" I yelled at her in a voice that I could not recognize
"Did you know about this?" I quizzed in short breathes. The jump must have taken a lot of my strength, I imagined. My bones suddenly ached, must have been the long walk I figured, but there was no way I was letting go of this young lady.
Their voices simmered, maybe eventually, they wanted to know what was going on as much as I did.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ON THE STREETS OF LAGOS

On The Streets of Lagos....

On The Streets Of Lagos