much ado





The connection between our hands and mind is another reason why God is awesome. A writer doesn’t need a laptop always, your mind is made up of several sheets and ink. Somehow, both meet half-way. 2019 started on a rather low note for me. The buzz and glitz of the festivities were still hanging tight in the air, it was as electric as always. As I managed to drag myself into the euphoria of the fact that life continues regardless of a state of mind, the thoughts of keeping more friendship than I had at hand came knocking. I had been scrolling through baby sister’s phone to see a lot of interesting pictures. Her friends will practically make her or another friend up and take pictures just for the fun of it. So, I took to twitter to tell my best friend to go learn make up and use my face for try outs for free. The guts on me. Lol.
In my line of a rather silly persuasion to move along with the year, I took a stock of the past year. I discovered I’ve been wearing big shirts and loose clothing in recent times. Okay, I love big clothes, it has always been about freedom for me. But when she said  “Only when you agree to show us what we like to see” did I realize what I have been doing. I felt sexy underneath whatever I had on, sexy is more than what meets the eye actually. However, her revelation woke me up to what my real struggle was. Fat has managed to store up in the right places in my body. Hence blinding me to the change my body was experiencing. It seemed as though bodily consciousness was all I woke up to daily. A need to look less chubby when in fact, orebe lomo.

hide 


Now, fixing the fat wasn’t the problem. My first problem was the inability to actually welcome and acknowledge the change that comes with living. There was no covering up really, I have been hiding away in plain sight; hoping that the state of my physique will not be a topic for general discussion. And that’s what we all do now, covering up and covering up, running away from our realities.

hiding


In truth, sucking in belly or wearing big shirts won’t fix it. While it is good business to be fit and stay healthy, running away from a challenge never makes it better. Because true beauty is not when you are plastic, figure 8 or pleasant to look upon, the most beautiful part of any person is when you love every phase of your life and embrace it as time changes everything. Bearing in mind that the parameters with which I measure genuine beauty is different from yours, I will hit the gym, fix healthy meal regimes rather than rescind into a point of self-destruction. Not because I want to be good to look upon primarily but because it is what my body needs.  Don’t be hard on yourself, to compare is to mess up the uniqueness. My body is my body and so is yours no matter how much another person loves you. So if you’re out there struggling with your weight, hiding away in the open let’s take a step to make it all better.
We can if we want to Lover, you’re beautiful and so much more.

P S; thanks to Clem and Funmi, our convo gave birth to this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ON THE STREETS OF LAGOS

On The Streets of Lagos....

On The Streets Of Lagos